Sunday, June 19, 2011

How do we stop America's decline?

America is in trouble. It's on the decline. We can all feel it. Where did we go wrong? How do we fix it?

Our government is broken. Politicians play for political points and America loses. Our two party system is a joke. The gulf between the two parties is so wide most Americans feel completely unrepresented. This huge divide means there's absolutely no chance of reaching intelligent solutions to fix our problems.

I think of myself as an Independent, but I guess I've always been a Democrat. Facing the draft as a teenager during the Vietnam war made me pretty anti-Nixon. As a college graduate, I prefer smart leaders like Clinton and Obama and shy away from the more superficial Reagan and Bush II.

I consider myself fiscally conservative and socially progressive. The Republicans are neither. The Republicans have tried to hold the marketing position of "fiscal conservatives" and paint the Democrats as big spenders, but Clinton was the only recent president that trimmed the size of the federal government and produced a budget surplus.

I want this blog to be a place where I can collect references to relevent facts and ideas from around the web. I want to lay out a concise picture of where we are, how we got here and what to do to try to save America.

No comments:

Post a Comment