Sunday, February 26, 2012

Bill Maher Says $1 Million to Obama Super PAC Is ‘Practical’

The satirist says he’s writing a very big check to support Obama in hopes that other rich liberals wake up to the looming threat from Republicans’ super PACs in November. 

Who knew that professional cynic Bill Maher was such a starry-eyed idealist?

Maher won’t admit as much, but no other explanation accounts for his surprise announcement Thursday night that he’s donating $1 million of his hard-earned money to Priorities USA Action, the awkwardly named super PAC supporting President Obama’s reelection campaign.

“No, I think it’s practical,” the comedian told me Friday afternoon when I accused him of being a political romantic. “The difference between a country governed by Obama and one governed by Rick Santorum is worth a million dollars to me.  Not just because I think the country would be better, but because I think it would actually better protect the money I have left.”

The sharp-tongued satirist, host of HBO’s hit Friday night show Real Time With Bill Maher, revealed his eye-popping donation at the end of his standup routine at the Silicon Valley headquarters of Yahoo.

“I think Mitt Romney’s going to get the [Republican] nomination, and then I hope Obama beats him like a runaway sister-wife,” Maher told the crowd as a giant check was brought onstage. “If I had one bit of advice for our president, it would be stop trying to get everyone to like you. It’s never gonna happen. About half the country wouldn’t vote for you if you personally saved them from drowning.”

“You listen to these people talking about vaginal probes and Satan and zero percent taxes on capital gains and the rest of this nonsense, you run back into the arms of Barack Obama.”

Read the whole story at the Daily Beast

No comments:

Post a Comment